In New York City, buildings must be compliant with NYC Fire Code. If you have a property in this area, you need to be aware of the NYC fire code or run the risk of being issued an FDNY Violation.
What is an FDNY Violation?
An FDNY Violation is an official notice that a property is not compliant with NYC Fire Code or Fire Department Rules. Infractions range from minor violations to violations that create dangerous situations and could result in criminal summons.
The types of violations issued in New York City include:
- Notice of Violation
- Violation Order
- Criminal Summonses
- Vacate Order
Your property could receive a violation during an FDNY inspection or as a result of a complaint to the City. If you receive a violation, you will want to remove it from your record by correcting the unsafe condition.
What is the FDNY Violations Removal Process?
If you receive a violation, there are two steps you must take to have it removed from your record.
- You must correct the unsafe condition.
- A Certificate of Correction must be completed within 35 days of the day the violation was issued.
In locations where a vacate order is issued, the property must be re-inspected to complete the process of correction.
How Do I Avoid Being Issued a Violation?
According to the Fire Department of New York City, there are several things that you can do to help avoid getting violations. Common violations include not having correct permits, fire safety records, and signs. Here are some ways to try to avoid getting a violation:
- Get a specified fire safety permit and submit a copy of permit fee receipt.
- Maintain and provide fire safety records.
- Provide or maintain required postings, signs, notices and instructions.
- Install and maintain required fire protection systems and prevent unwarranted alarms.
- Obtain Certificates of Fitness and Certificates of Qualification.
- Conduct fire-safety inspections and testing.
Island Fire Can Help Remove Violations
At Island Fire Life Safety, we can help you with the FDNY Violations removal process by helping you correct unsafe conditions. Island Fire is a New York City based fire protection contractor that provides fire sprinkler and alarm system installations, inspections, and repairs. We also provide documentation of the services we perform to keep for your records. We also can help you prevent receiving a violation by assisting you in the installation of required systems and providing regular inspections and testing of your fire protection systems. Contact us to learn more about the services that we provide!